Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The White-Hot Fury of Hell

I get canker sores.

“Oh, is that like a cold sore?” she says. “I get those all the time and they are sooo ugly. Oh my gah-id. I have to put on a ton of make-up to cover them up.”

No, peanut, they aren’t like cold sores. They are like strolling through the 84th level of hell with a rock in your shoe.

Canker sores are white-hot, pea-sized blisters inside my lip that, when irritated by, say, eating or breathing, send a pain through my mouth, up my face and down my neck that feels a little like I’m extinguishing a five-alarm fire with my head. When I peel back my lip to see the source of my agony, I swear I can see the devil in my mouth (so you know, Satan looks like Dick Cheney with bedhead) and he’s laughing his ass off, poking his pitchfork into my canker sore with the gusto of a four-year-old in the cereal aisle. (Note to self: dump that Halliburton stock pronto.)

I would give up iced venti decaf soy lattes to be afflicted by cold sores instead of canker sores. I would. I don’t care how they look. Give me the Michael Jordan of cold sores, one that looks like a Buick in the middle of my forehead. It would beat having an open wound inside my mouth. And the next person who tells me cold sores and canker sores are “basically the same” is getting kicked in the nards. This means you, Dick Cheney, you fucker.

Here’s the worst part: science can invent a cling wrap that bonds to Tupperwear like Super Glue but it can’t invent something to make my canker sores feel less like the Abu-Ghraib treatment. There are some over-the-counter ointments available, but no. They are messy. They are sophomoric. And the end result of using them is either a sticky, congealed mess that welds my lips together or a numbed tongue (“I thoughth you thaid thith thtuff was suppotha help!”)

In the coming weeks, I’ll be organizing the Daniel R. Evans Walk for Canker Sores. That will ramp up as soon as my little yellow bracelets emblazoned with my slogan “Yes I Can-ker” drop (they’re on back order).

9 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger evilchinadoll said...

i once had a canker sore way in the back of my mouth, right by my tongue. when i ate, drinked, talked, moved my head, even took a breath it hurts like hell.
and theres nothin you can do about it.
or you can sprinkle some coke on it and it'll go numb for a bit.
or not.

ps: like the blog.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Fadedpaperdoll said...

now aren't we exaggerating just a little? come one. i've never had a cold sore, but i have had a canker sore and i don't recall crying about it like this.

i like this: "..pea-sized blisters inside my lip that, when irritated by, say, eating or breathing, send a pain through my mouth.."

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Angry John Sellers said...

I am totally on board with this assessment of canker sores. Canker sores suck more than getting kicked in the 'nads, which has happened to me more times than I'd like to share. I think the pain -- especially when you bite them or otherwise prod them when they are at their most Mount St. Helens-y -- is probably on the level of childbirth, or getting bamboo shoved up one's fingernails, or the sound of hearing the voice of that woman who played The Nanny. And cold sores are for sissies! They are embarrassing, sure, but they don't hurt. Canker sores aren't embarrassing but they hurt like an abusive mother whipping her fool-boy of a son. No contest.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Tiger said...

...'k, I can see that reading you while sipping my coffee is not the best thing for the various electronic equip. that resides in the vicinity of my desk. "Yes, I Can-Ker." I nearly spit my coffee back out with a laugh. :) Yeah, I get the very, very occasional canker sore & I do agree with your opinion of them 100%.

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good way to get rid of those wanky cankers:
put some hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip and burn the hell out of it! I am not kidding...I get those darn things too!
s.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger john said...

i feel your pain... oh do i feel your pain

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger bigbear777 said...

tetracycline
!!! The best teeth whitening system ever! Go to tetracycline

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger bigbear777 said...

**UPDATE! FREE SHIPPING FOR A LIMITED TIME!**

Better than klear action whitening and ION whitening systems! Half the
price too!

Welcome to PerfectlyWhite.com,

PerfectlyWhite.com is proud to present to you the first ever at home
laser whitening treatment. We are bringing you the most popular in
office treatment at home for the fraction of the cost! One laser
treatment at a doctors office can run around $600 as shown above. This
is very exciting news for anyone who is looking into whitening their
teeth professionally in the comfort of their own home. Best of all you
can have this plasma light technology for much less! The light is yours
to keep and can be used as many times as you like! You can achieve
professional results in less than 7 days! Our method also works in
between your teeth and deep down below the enamel. This procedure will
not damage or wear away the enamel.

How does it work?

Its very simple. The Plasma light will increase the breakdown speed of
Carbamide Peroxide, in turn releasing more oxygen which speeds up the
bleaching process. The oxygen acts as a bleaching agent that whitens
your teeth safely and effectively. This is why you can pay as much as $600
to get your teeth whitened professionally.

Plasma Laser Light Technology!

Never before seen in any at home whitening kit! Just Like at a real in
office visit, all our deluxe kits have the plasma light tool to
accelerate the whitening process. No one else offers this authentic at
home tool. Its Very easy to operate and safe to use. Accelerate your
whitening by as much as 300% with this method! This means whiter teeth
in less time!

At last, you no longer have to visit your dentist for that
white bright smile you have always wanted!

Our professional dental whitening kit is the same product used by many
of the top cosmetic dentists. Why consider paying up to $600, when for a
few short minutes per day, you to can achieve the exact same results in
the comfort of your own home. Best of all, it will cost you a fraction
of the price!

40% stronger than an in-office visit...

To provide you with superior results, our fully licensed line of
products is one of the industry's strongest and most effective tooth
whitening formulas. The main active ingredient is 35% Carbamide Peroxide.
This concentration is 40% stronger than most dentists use during an in
office visit!

A little more about our 7 day plasma treatment:

* This procedure will NOT harm or damage your tooth's enamel.

This system can't be found in stores!

We are the only internet site who sells this new product!

We are the exclusive seller of this NEW at home treatment!

You and your friends can take advantage of this treatment with just one
plasma light!

Plasma light treatment only takes on average 7 days to complete!

Results are 100% guaranteed and 100% safe! for more informationCLICK HERE

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Dini Shepard said...

If anyone says canker sores "aren't that bad", to some, they are. Mine are so painful that i cant sleep. They also make my lymph nodes swell and give me fevers. And YES they ARE canker sores. Not teeny, tiny white dotts; but huge, dime-sized, craters of agony that make my whole jaw ache. My doctor will prescribe Vicodin, prednisone, and antibiotics when they get bad enough. I get cnker sores weekly, but they only get this bad ever few months. I have to call into work and once had to be hospitalized for a collection of 5 that caused a blood infection. Perhaps my experience is in the minority, believe me, I know it sounds ludicrous. (Try explaining to your boss that you have canker sores that can hospitalize you.) but I promise, some people's bodies CAN and DO have canker sores that cause them complete and total agony. If yours dont, consider yourself fortunate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home